Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Building the ZS6U Mini Shack Special aka End Fed Halve Wave Dipole Antenna




I decided to to build a End Fed HF Dipole Antenna also known as the ZS6U Mini Shack Special Antenna with a 9:1 Magnetic Longwire Balun/Unun.  I am not going to discuss the characteristics or full construction details of the antenna or the balun as the Internet has more than enough information on this type of antenna, balun and unun.

I opted for the 69 feet (21 meter) wire length using the following formula  f=28.5 Mhz then length = 492 x (4 - 0.025) x 28.5 = 68.62 feet rounding it to 69ft and  a 9:1 Magnetic Longwire Balun/Unun.

I used the following references:  (Click on links to view information)


Materials Used:

  • Copper insulated wire plastic coated  (House Wire)
  • T50-2 Toroidal Core
  • Copper insulated wire (24 AWG)
  • Aluminum Case
  • Odds and Ends as seen in photos
 I mainly use this antenna for WSPR purposes.  This antenna has served me well and I can recommend this antenna for portable, emergency and fixed home installations. 

Conclusion: 

I advise that you read the conclusion as found in the The ZS6U Minishack Special by Colin Dickman ZS6U (Radio ZS January 1994)

Photo Album:






















Build by Johan ZS1I  Mossel Bay - 20 April 2020 during Covid19 Lockdown.